November 27th, 2017
With the cooler weather, it is easy to wrap up in big blankets, with comfort food accompanying us, to warm our bodies. This season, we hope to be as mindful in the kitchen as we are on the mat when it comes to nourishing our bodies. This Turkey and Sweet Potato Chill has all the stops and packs in a lot of healthy goodness. It is the perfect mixture of comfort food meets health and it is so easy to make!
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder (ancho chile powder if you can find it)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 pound dark meat ground turkey
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into half-inch cubes
1 quart chicken stock or chicken bone broth
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Avocado and cilantro for serving
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Cook down until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until crumbled and combined with the onions. Add the sweet potatoes and chicken stock (or bone broth) and bring to a simmer, then cover and let cook for another 20 minutes.
- After the sweet potatoes have cooked, add the beans, stir to combine and cook for another 20 minutes uncovered.
- Taste for salt and spice, then garnish with avocado, cilantro, and scallions.
Originally crafted by goop.